One thing I like less than sick kids is making decisions regarding the sick child. After racing in the Crested Butte 40 miler last weekend and having some mechanical issues, Ian decided he would much rather split the Firecracker 50 with me than race the entire thing. I was reluctant at first, wanting him to experience the entire race but after awhile he finally convinced me to join him. I gave in to the peer pressure as I really feel bad saying no, but I was nervous about the kid handoff. How was I going to get ready and warmup with both kids let alone jump onto the race course when Ian finished his lap? Despite the worries, I got kind of excited to race as it has been a month since I raced my mountain bike.
Oh well…family comes first. And this time that family is not Ian but Axel. The little guy has had a fever over 100 degrees Fahrenheit for three days and the decision had to be made for the kids and I to stay home. It was a tough decision that we hemmed and hawed over ultimately realizing that if either of us had a fever like that then there is no way we would want to go to a race all day with no sleep. Back to the original plan of Ian racing the entire 50 except that the kids and I will be missing out on cheering him on.
Oh well, there’s always next year. And hopefully Ax-man will be feeling great.